front page logo

front page logo
John Hilyard Family ca. 1909

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

My Family in the Civil War, Part Eleven: "I died like a soldier, all quiet and bold."

This is the 11th in a series on my Civil War ancestors
Gravestone of Bartlett Moore, image from findagrave

"I was but a boy
But sixteen years old
Yet I died like a soldier
All quiet and bold."

Deposition of William D. Moore, nephew and neighbor of Susannah and Edward Moore

Q: "Please state your military service."
A: "I enlisted in August 1861 as Corpl [?] "I" 38th Ind. and was commissioned Capt of said company in September 1864 and was mustered out July 1865."

Q: "Was Bartlett Moore in your company?"
A: "Yes sir. He came to us February 12, 1864."

Q: "Did he contract any disability in the service?"
A: "Well sometime after he came to us he was taken sick, to the best of my recollection, with diarrhea and was with the surgeon. I detailed him there and not long after he was sent to Chattanooga Tenn and afterwards died, as I believe of diarrhea."

Captain William Davis Moore was the son of Edward's older brother John. When war broke out, he was 27 years old, with a wife and three small children. His wife died the following year, possibly in childbirth.

A newspaper clipping shares a letter William wrote home to his parents. The "Uncle Neddy" he mentions is our Edward Moore. It was a popular nickname for him. As with all images on this blog, click on the clipping to enlarge it.
Unidentified newspaper clipping,
letter from William D. Moore to his parents

The "Josie" in the letter is William's younger brother Joseph. Joseph H. Moore died 12 days later and lies in rest at Moores Ridge Cemetery. He was 22 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment